Products and Customers
05/23/2011 02:55 p.m. | Business
- Anyone can come up with an idea for a product.
- Fewer people can get the resources necessary to make the product.
- Even fewer can actually make the product with the right resources.
- And even fewer can manage to make a profit selling this product to customers.
If you move the customers to the top of the list, things go much easier.
- Customers help focus ideas of products to something they want.
- Customers make it easier to acquire resources (via bootstrapping or VC).
- Customers help get the product made by field testing and feedback.
- Customers help you make a profit because they are already paying you.
You don't have to be a Jobsian visionary and build the perfect product from scratch.
Customers are the reason for products. The 2% who did it all on their own are either lucky or just the best. The other 98% could succeed by focusing on customers. Sadly most try and fail to be part of the 2%. How are you building your products?